Delce Education Centre
The Delce Education Centre is a specialist resource provision within the school that provides an environment so that pupils with Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs are able to learn and succeed. Split over two classes, we can cater for up to 15 primary aged pupils who have an Educational Health Care Plan with a clear primary need of Social, Emotional & Mental Health.
Delce Education Centre Vision Statement
At the Delce Education Centre, pupils are put at the centre of everything that we do. Through our bespoke curriculum and approach to behaviour, pupils thrive in an environment where they are enabled to become successful learners, considerate citizens and positive and confident individuals.
All of our staff have received extensive training in the trauma informed approach which drives our vision of creating a physically, psychologically and emotionally safe environment for all of our pupils. The five principles of trauma informed practice - safety, choice, collaboration, trustworthiness and empowerment - run throughout our curriculum and playtimes to ensure pupils feel confident throughout every aspect of the school day. Within this supportive and caring environment, staff safely challenge pupils to do their best in reaching their full potential.
At The Delce Education Centre we are proud to provide a safe, stimulating and challenging learning environment where every pupil is respected and valued. We celebrate our achievements, and together we take pride in making a positive contribution to our school, trust and the wider community.
We look forward to welcoming you.
Understanding the needs of pupils with Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs:
At the Delce Education Centre, we understand that pupils with Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs require support, nurture and understanding when identifying and overcoming their barriers. As a team, it is our priority to identify the triggers and barriers that make it difficult for our pupils to access the learning and make unsafe and unkind choices. Pupils learn how to use a variety of different tools and strategies that help them overcome their barriers and triggers.
If pupils present with behaviours that challenge adults, the onus is on the adult to interpret the child’s communication. Our staff are familiar with clear guidance and strategies to support the development of positive and safe behaviour. All staff are ‘positively handled’ trained and may use positive support techniques to keep everybody in The Delce Education Centre safe.
Our behaviour, interventions and supportive curriculum
Our staff are highly trained and passionate about supporting our pupils to make progress. We believe that with the right nurture and emotional support our pupils can access every element of the school day.
- Assemblies – We have smaller group assemblies so our pupils can build up the confidence to accept their weekly merit awards in front of their peers.
- Lessons – Pupils are supported throughout lessons to achieve their best when completing their learning. Staff take a proactive approach to help pupils identify triggers early so that they are able to deploy one of their strategies to regulate. This enables pupils to rejoin the lesson and continue to make progress.
- Zones of Regulation – These are tools that we teach and use consistently. Mistakes are part of our everyday learning experiences. How pupils respond to and reflect on setbacks is a key indicator for how we support pupils to find appropriate strategies to be able to manage behaviour and emotions.
- Break times – Staff model and engage how to play with peers during our break and lunch times. Pupils are given the opportunity to access our ‘Chill Out’ club if they identify the need for a quieter and slower paced atmosphere.
- Social Skills – Our staff are experienced in supporting small groups of children to develop their social and emotional skills in a safe and secure environment. Our activities are carefully planned and focus on developing language skills, empathy and promoting positive behaviour.
- Enrichment Time - We provide the unique opportunity for our pupils to access and engage in a club of their choice that is held within school hours. Pupil voice is paramount in planning the clubs that are on offer.
'At Delce We Do Belong'
Once your child has been offered a place at the Delce Education Centre
Your child’s class teacher will be in touch to introduce themselves, discuss your child’s phased start and to answer any questions you may have. Before your child starts their first day at the Delce Education Centre, you and your child will be invited in to meet the staff and explore the provision.
Our phased start is an integral part of welcoming new pupils to the Delce Education Centre. It enables pupils to focus on building new relationships and understanding new structures and expectations at a pace that is not overwhelming.
The table outlines the phased start which we follow for all of our new pupils. However, your child’s teacher or the SENCO may wish to speak to you about making adjustments to the time table depending on the needs of your child.
We look forward to welcoming you to our Delce family.