Across Delce Academy, our vision within the science curriculum is to foster inquisitive life-long learners, who continue to explore the world around them. We encourage our children to confidently ask questions and investigate in order to develop a deeper understanding of the world in which we live. We aim to equip our children with the knowledge and skills to take personal ownership of their learning, which will enable them to make inter and intra personal links.
To achieve this it involves exciting and practical hands-on experiences that encourage curiosity and questioning. Through this challenging and stimulating curriculum we aim to inspire and excite our children and foster a thirst for knowledge, which delves into the scientific world around them. In addition, the teaching of science will promote and develop transferable skills such as observation, communication and teamwork and allow mathematical skills to be applied.
The science learning journey will go through the different stages of learning: developing, exploring, deepening, outcome and reflection. This will enable children to develop, deepen and apply their skills towards an investigative outcome. Regular events, such as STEM week, allow all pupils to come off-timetable, to provide broader provision and the acquisition and application of knowledge and skills. These events often involve families and the wider community.
We believe that through our implementation of the science curriculum children will have the opportunities to:
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
- Be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
- Develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
- Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
- Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
- Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
- Take part in a wide range of extra-curricular activities, visits, trips and visitors to complement and broaden the curriculum. These are purposeful and link with the knowledge being taught in class.
We believe that these opportunities will enable the children to be able to talk about their science learning confidently and enthusiastically. We want to encourage the children to challenge scientific theories and encompass the skills required to question their findings through research and investigations. At Delce, we endeavour to unlock pupils’ potential for future life choices and share with them the many possible career options available to them within the field of science. Through the teaching of science within Delce, the children will be motivated to continue to explore the world around them, beyond the classroom and even beyond their time at primary school.